A casual social ride of 18 miles using a mix of some of the 144 miles of the Livingston path network, National Cycle Network route 754, 75, canal tow path, quiet country road and surfaced cycle track. Smooth narrow tyres may find some of it a bit bumpy.
To reserve your place & to let us know how many to expect add some details to our Contact Us form. It does not commit you to attending.
We meet at the cafe at Howden Park Centre, Livingston from after 10 and leave at 1030am and go along the Loan Path through Ladywell turning east onto the Harrysmuir Path to Pumpherston A short section along Drumshoreland Road and onto the East Calder to Uphall Station Path, joining the cycle path by the A89 onto the Union Canal and NCN 754 on the Union Canal tow path through Broxburn, and minor road from Niddry Castle to Kirkliston. Stopping at Kirkliston Leisure Centre for refreshments. There is no cafe, so bring something to eat and drink. There is a drinks machine.
The return route will be along an off road cycle path from Kirkliston to Newbridge then cycle path by the A89 and crossing at the railway arches onto the minor road for Birdsmill and Muirend and back through Almondell Country Park, to HPC.
- The distance is about 19 miles. You can also drop off at any part of the route and cycle as far as you feel comfortable with.
- There is no need to wear special cycle clothing something comfy. We don't ask you to wear a helmet, it is not a lawful requirement, it is a matter of personal choice.
- Bring waterproof jacket & trousers, snacks and bottle of water, small tool kit for your bike, spare inner-tube, ensure the valve is the same as the existing one.
- Check your bike is safe to ride by carrying out a M CHECK. Recommend checking it over the day before the ride, checking brakes work, the chain is lubricated and the tyres set to the correct pressure, it makes cycling easier. The recommended pressure can be found on the side of the tyre, typically 35-85 PSI or 3-6 Bar. For other help, see Bike Maintenance Tips
- Some Essential Cycling Skills Videos to help boost your confidence and give you the necessary skills to negotiate on-road journeys.
If the weather influences your decision not to come that is OK, we may see you another time.
Next Ride Saturday 3rd August
SPOKES Bulletin 134 Summer 2019
SPOKES Summer Competition MY CYCLING INSPIRATION. Previously has had a low number of West Lothian entries, so there's a good chance of winning a prize. Other Formats
BeSpokeActive Travel Rides
If you work and stay in or around the Livinston area we can offer to plan a route to cycle to work, and if need be buddy you to show you the way. We try as far as possible to use traffic free quiet routes. Contact us if interested.
The places around Livingston include Broxburn, Bathgate, East Calder, West Calder.